In the construction and agricultural industries, skid steer loaders have established themselves as the most versatile piece of machinery. These machines are referred to as skid steers due to their turning motion. As they do not have independent front wheels that can guide the powered rear wheels, the machine will skid because one side of its tracks will turn faster than the other.
Although this may appear counter-intuitive, it actually allows for a much tighter turning circle, which is essential in confined spaces such as warehouses. In comparison to excavators, tractors or traditional forklifts, skid steers are compact, strong, agile, have great visibility and a range of attachments. A skid steer is an excellent tool for earthmoving and agricultural work because it has a number of advantages.
- Adaptability – These machines are suitable for earthmoving, construction, vegetation control, and even agricultural use. There are wheeled models and rubber tracked models (also called track loaders) of skid steers.
- Size – Skid steers are much smaller and lighter than large articulated loaders, front-end loaders, and larger excavators, making them very transportable and easy to maneuver.
- Efficiency – Even though they are smaller in size, most skid steer loaders have a high hydraulic flow rate. Consequently, you can use hydraulic machinery attachments to increase efficiency.
- Easy To Use – Compared to larger heavy machinery, skid steers are easier to operate with joystick controls.
- Easy to Access – The open front entry of skid steers / track loaders makes it easier to get in and out of the driver’s seat.
- Visibility – Skid steer operators have greater visibility since they don’t have a bulky front loader in front of them, giving them better accuracy when performing tasks.
- Attachments – Skid steer attachments include buckets, pallet forks, auger drives, push rakes, trenchers, grapples, slashers, brooms, concrete mixers, and many more. As attachments can be removed and reinstalled quickly, they provide a higher level of functionality to the skid steer and can be replaced as well.